Use Mail Merge and Outlook to send a bulk email so that separate, personalized emails are sent to end users.
You have the ability to use Microsoft Outlook and mail merge to send bulk emails to a large number of users. This is useful so that you can reach a large number of end users while still being able to personalize the message.
From your contacts, select the contact group you want to send to, then select Mail Merge.
A window will popup:
- Choose whether you want to send to all contacts or selected contacts.
- Choose a New Document to send from, or choose existing document if you already have your email template saved to a Word document.
- Select OK.
Your Word document will open:
- Add your template if you need. Then place your cursor in the location you wish to personalize the email.
- Select Mailings from your menu
- Select Insert Merge Field.
Add the field(s) you wish to insert into your mail merge. In most cases the options you will want are first name and last name. Be sure to put a space between your fields to separate the first and last name. You should then see your inserted fields display on your template.
- Select Preview Results to view an example of what will be sent. Make any adjustments you need to your merged fields and template.
- When you are ready, select Finish & Merge > Send Email Messages.
Another popup window will appear.
- Fill out your Subject Line.
- Choose which records you want to send to from the contacts selected.
- Select OK. Individual emails will be sent to each contact selected.
Contributor: Paul Wagner
Paul is a Digital Learning Specialist for a school district near Houston, TX. He oversees the Learning Management System for his district.
Follow Paul on Twitter: @pwagnerlcisd